Builder: Joseph A. Britton
Creek: Rock Run (was called Iron Run)
Location: Located at Bradfield Station, 3 miles north of Coxville.
Reference Code: 54 feet long +9’ +9’, 15 feet wide, 14 feet clearance
Size: 54 ft long +9’ +9’, 15 ft wide, 14 ft clearance
Truss: Burr Arch 1 span
Repair/Restoration History: Roof and deck replaced in 1989. Deck replaced in 1991 for $6,000. Restored in 2002.
Bridge History: The Zacke Cox bridge was built the same year and by the same contract as the Harry Evans Bridge and the same year as the Weisner. Although built by J.A. Britton, these three bridges do not have the traditional Britton Portal. Semi-arched, they more resemble the Hendricks portal, like Wilkens Mill, Rush Creek, and Mill Creek.
Zachariah M. Cox was born in 1857 in Coloma. His Fatherwas E.T. Cox. The Cox family was prominent with various members owning nearly a thousand acres in Parke County near the Zacke Cox Bridge. There is a clay strip mine next to the bridge to the northwest. Coal and slate outcroppings can be seen south of the bridge.
There was another road between the Harry Evans and Zacke Cox Bridges. It was never bridged and the ford and approaches are now abandoned. An ancient legendary Indian grave lies between the bridges, marked by a snake-like fossil. However, the hewn rock steps and the entrance are now covered by the collapsed cliff side.
There have been many fossils uncovered by Rock Run, huge snakes are ancient tree fossils. Huge alligator-like fossils were reported north of the Zacke Cox Bridge. Fossil studies in Parke County have revealed familiar species and at least one previously unknown. In 1956, Dr. Rainer Zangerl discovered a 12 foot long shark fossil north of this site, between the Jackson, and West Union bridges. It was the first fossil discovered of the Orodus Greggi sharks. Dr. Zangerl writes that there was a shallow sea covering Parke County during the coal age, 300 million years ago, that was populated by various sharks and bony fishes.