Home of Indiana's Largest Festival

The Parke County Covered Bridge Festivalâ„¢ on October 12th-21st, 2018

Moore Covered Bridge

Built: 1909
Builder: Joseph A. Britton
Creek: South Fork Little Raccoon Creek
Location: Located 2 miles north of Judson and southeast of Guion.
Reference Code: (#49), 12-61—25, mh, Greene 17-16N—7W
Size: 65 ft long +8’ +8’, 16 ft wide
Truss: Burr Arch 1 span
Foundation: Concrete

Repair/Restoration History: Destroyed by flood in 1957.

Bridge History: The Moore Bridge’s name was derived from the Moore Farm. Mr. Moore was known as a breeder of fine horses. William T. Moore rented 435 acres owned by J. E. Moore, about 3 miles from the Moore Bridge. Joseph A. Britton built the Philips Covered Bridge, #22, across Big Pond Creek the same year as he built the Moore Covered Bridge.

The Moore Bridge was destroyed in the flood of 1957. Ths Weisner Bridge was destroyed in the same food. Concern over the loss of these bridges led to the first covered bridge festival.

One of the last major Indian camps in Indiana was located northeast of Guion. The first settlement in the Guion area was in 1821 and consisted of five families on the south side of the present town. The railroads established the town by locating stations there at the crossing of the two rail lines in about 1872. The Evansville, Crawfordsville and Southern (Pumpkin Vine Railroad, Vandalia Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad, and Penn Central) crossed beneath the Cincinnati, Hamilton, & Dayton (Terre Haute, Logansport & Indianapolis, Decatur & Western, Baltimore & Ohio, Chessie System, CSX). Guion was named tor William H. Guion. He was a well known businessman and a stockholder on the railroad. In 1897 the railroad built a new station and named it Guion.

In 1927 the town included a hotel, store, blacksmith, post office, church, and a few residences.

The Penn Central was abandoned in about 1970 after a track washout. The CSX trackage was abandoned in 1990 and a washout occurred soon thereafter.