Builder: Joseph A. Britton & Sons
Creek: Big Raccoon Creek
Location: Located 2 miles southeast of Bridgeton.
Reference Code: #9,14-61-03,12-61-03, be, Raccoon 29-14N—7W
Size: 204 ft long, +9’ +9’, 16 ft wide, 13’clearance
Truss: Burr Arch 2 span
Bridge History: This bridge was built on the Jeffries Ford site.
The portal is in the Britton form and is lettered J.M. May, W.T.Motter, LJ.Linebarger Commissioners, J.H. Rush Treasurer, Charles Davis Auditor, H.L. Davies Engineer, J.A. Britton Builder, 1915 Jeffries Ford Bridge. The roof is of corrugated galvanized steel. This bridge is unusual in that most J.A. Britton Bridges were shorter and single span.
J.A. Britton was 75 at the time this bridge was completed. Throughout his career as a bridge builder, he was assisted by his family. At this period construction was by his sons. He had 4 sons by his first wife and 5 by his second wife. Eugene Britton built Bowsher Ford, the same year. Some of the other bridges built by J.A. Britton include: Narrows in 1882, Sim Smith, in 1883, Leatherwood Station in 1899, Harry Evans in 1908, Zacke Cox in 1908, Weisner, in 1908, Philips, in 1909, Moore, in 1909, Thorpe Ford in 1912, State Sanatorium in 1913, Howard in 1913, Cox Ford in 1913, McAllister in 1914, Harbison in 1916, Marshall in 1917, and Nevins in 1920.